Monday, January 2, 2012

The More I Think, The More I Can't Decide

Happy New Year!

When last we met, I was going to make a green and yellow scarf as a gift. I thought that I would dye the fiber, then spin up a green yarn and a yellow yarn and then the barber pole green and yellow. The barber pole would be used as the edging. Then I thought about it a bit more and changed my mind.

My friend also likes a bit of red in the mix and I couldn't decide how to add it so it looked good. So I changed my mind again. I went back to the green and yellow idea and started the Mirror Lake scarf. I was using the natural colored yarn, thinking I could dye the squares after they were made. I would make up all the squares and then dye half of them green and half yellow. I kept thinking about it while I was crocheting and changed my mind again.

I frogged (undid) the crocheting and decided to try another pattern. (I really liked the Mirror Lake so I will keep that pattern for another time). I found another pattern that I like, The Cathedral Pineapple Prayer Shawl Scarf. by Maria Merlino. It is a beautiful pattern and much easier to do than it looks. Its a clever pattern in that you make 1/2 of it, then make the other half from the foundation chain. The point of that is so when you drape it around your neck, all the pineapples are going in the same direction.

So here is the finished scarf.


In the picture below you can see the center back where the two pineapples come off the same foundation chain.


I still couldn't decide how to dye it, so I finally just gave it as it and let the giftee decide about any coloring.

Here is a computer rendition of how I envisioned the scarf to look like when I was done hand-painting it.



I think its just as well that she decided to keep it a natural color, yes? hehehhehe

Next time around: ORANGE




1 comment:

  1. While the coloring is neat...the natural is so much more beautiful!

    Hope you had a nice Christmas and New Years celebration!

    ReplyDelete