Sunday, December 4, 2011

Where does the time go?

Oh my gosh! Has it really been since September since I have posted? Well this confirms something that I have thought about and that’s that I am no blogger. However, I have been busy, I promise you. Here’s what’s been happening fiber wise.

I got some of the carding finished and made a scarf out of the undyed yarn. It’s a pretty Aryan fisherman color with a touch of grey. Because of the fancy pattern, I couldn’t decide if I wanted to dye it or not. Since it is a gift, I’ll let the gifted decide if she would like it any other color.

Here you can see some progress on the scarf.


Here is the completed scarf, “Lobster Trap Scarf with Fishnet Trim” by Lyn Robinson. I did not put on the fishnet part. The pattern can be found here:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lobster-trap-scarf-with-fishnet-trim

Here is a closeup of the pattern.

I got that scarf finished except for the blocking. I still need to do that.

I continued to spin more of the same fiber to make more yarn for another scarf. This time though, I knew that I wanted to dye it. Dying is one of many of the creative parts of the spinning process. You can dye your fiber anytime during the process.

For this scarf, I decided to dye the fiber after it was carded, but before I spun it up. I have these lovely, soft batts that I threw in the dye pot and dyed them pretty much the same way I dyed the yarn mentioned in the last post. Since I’m back to work and the days are coolers and shorter in daylight, I had to dry the batts around the house. For a couple of days it was like a maze going from one room to another.

And yes, there are several colors there. I used blue, peacock, teal and turquoise. When I spun them up, I got a variegated yarn. I wanted something that looked like water with all its various shades/hues of blue.

I started a scarf as a gift, but the colors were coming out all "blocky" not flowing like I envisioned. So I ripped the scarf apart and tried it another way...and ripped that out and tried again. I finally got it going the way I wanted. It is a pattern of my own design. And of course, it need blocking too. I don't really like to block I discover, but it really does make the final product so much nicer. I'll get to it *g*

I have one more scarf/gift to make. But before I could start on that, it was time to make a few scarves for the Special Olympics. For the past couple of years, I've gotten some students together to make (crochet) scarves. This year another teacher (Hi Donna!) wanted to do that, so I am only along for the ride *g* The kids are doing very well and we will have lots of scarves to mail away this year. This is a good thing. Here are the three I made.

Now that the Special Olympic scarfs are done that I said I'd make, its time to get to the final gift scarf. I've spun two skeins so far and need about 3 more. This one is called Mirror Lake Scarf by Lisa Gentry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mirror-lake-scarf

It is made by sewing crocheted squares together. I plan to make the squares and then dye them in a light shade of yellow and green. If all goes well, I would like to make a green and yellow "barbershop" yarn to use for the edging.

Well that pretty much gets us all up to speed. Thanks for looking!





1 comment:

  1. Love that water color. Amazing what you can do with the dying...so cool! You are one talented chick!

    ReplyDelete